photo header_zps0f91e2d9.jpg photo ex_zps61d55d43.jpg photo home_zps85f688be.jpg photo about_zpsa1ea80b7.jpg photo contact_zps4aa39ec8.jpg photo twitter_zps89adcf86.jpg photo links_zps1c63dfd5.jpg photo ex1_zps4edc29b7.jpg

La Playa

Saturday, September 21, 2013

As promised... here's my post on my recent beach trip! Woop! It was QUITE the experience. On Thursday morning M and I randomly decided that we absolutely needed to get out of Santiago. We decided we would go to the beach. As we were getting ready to leave C saw us and asked where we were going. Soon enough we were all going to the beach. We got to the bus station and we randomly decided to go to El Quisco, a beach that's about an hour and a half west of Santiago. The coach bus was SUPER nice. Coach buses seem to be the chosen mode of transportation here and I see why. They are great! I digress. Once we arrived at the beach town we got some delicious sea food. I got a huge steaming pile of basically every type of shellfish imaginable, which was great. M went for steak, and C went for a crab dish.

While we were eating we realized we needed to figure out where would stay (as I said, this was a very impromptu trip). We asked our waiter and he brought us a the information for a cabaña that we could stay in. We called the number and were told we could rent a cottage with a kitchen, bathroom, and sleeping space for 3 for $36 (USD). It sounded pretty great so we set off to find our beach abode. Little did we know we would basically have to climb Mount Everest to get there... and when we finally did get there we were met with an interesting little structure. When I say interesting I mean scary. The ceiling in the bedroom was made of styrofoam and there were ominous holes in the ceilings. Being total gringos, M and I were weary of this lodging option but C, a true Chilean, said it was fine. We trusted her judgement and took the cottage for the night.

Once we had a place to leave our things (place=weird cottage) we went back down to the beach with some Chilean beers to watch the sunset. It reminded me of a night on the beach in northern California (like Mendocino). Super beautiful but also freakishly cold. I thought I was going to turn into a popsicle! We then met up with the lovely K for some drinks. K was staying with the family she works for at the next beach over and she was able to get away for the night to hang out with us. We eventually went back to our cabin/cottage/cabaña/house from a scary movie where we began to settle in for bed. It was FREEZING and no one wanted to sleep on the small bed alone for fear of spiders and other potentially scary things that lurked in the dark corners. This mean that we all slept in the queen sized bed. The mattress was curved and the blankets had some stains that were not exactly comforting. K pointed to one stain in particular that she "hoped was baby food." I think you get the idea... Yikes! Despite the scary atmosphere and weird stains we had a blast. We slept like a can of sardines and we were actually quite warm (I even had to take off my sweatshirt in the middle of the night!).

Overall it was a super fun trip. Definitely a bit different, and if I'd walked into a cottage in the states that looked like that there's no way I would've stayed for the night, but when in Rome... or El Quisco... A little adventure never hurt anyone! I'll be back with more posts soon internet... in the mean time enjoy the pics form my trip!

Pullman Bus... super classy transportation! 

My lunch.

My lunch and I... Excuse weird face and wild hair!

The beach!

Kind of blurry pic of me on the beach... and C in the background.

M and C being all cute.

The beach when it got dark and COLD.

Scary hole in ceiling (1 of 2).

Styrofoam ceiling in the bedroom.

M, K, C, and I all slept in the bed with the blue sheets haha! It was a bit tight.


A cute puppy at the bus station.

As a good liberal arts educated girl I would like to put in a small disclaimer... I realize my aversion to our sleeping arrangement may seem incredibly culturally insensitive and frankly rude. I fully acknowledge that K, M, and I were being total gringas about the whole thing (I mean we did sleep in it, but we also complained a bit). I am just trying to be as honest as possible and explain my actual reaction to the situation. I am fully aware that many Chileans live in worse conditions all year round. I am merely unaccustomed to this way of life. We ended up having a blast so clearly our discomfort was unnecessary.

OK well that's all for now internet. Until we meet again!

XX
A


No comments:

Post a Comment